The Service and Shopping Center was established upon the reconstruction and enlargement of the building of the former girls’ institution with a school built in the second half of the nineteenth century.
In 2002, the Kleta group company “Kletos prekyba” started to renovate a building located in Herkaus Manto str. 21. The project aimed at revitalizing the old town of Klaipėda and creating a modern shopping center that meets the needs of its inhabitants. This building was constructed in 1864. Construction was funded by the city sponsor J.L.Vyneris.
The Service and Shopping Center was established upon the reconstruction and enlargement of the building of the former girls’ institution with a school built in the second half of the nineteenth century. The construction line of the Herkus Mantas Street remained unchanged. In the course of the reconstruction, the red brick facade of the former historic building has been retained. In order to highlight the remained fragment of the cultural valuable, the newly constructed part was made entirely of glass with quiet metric division. There was formed a one-piece glass volume with no boundaries between walls and roof that sensitively “framed” the old, two-story, red-brick facade of significant architectural value.
In the three-storey building, the architects designed shops, restaurants, cafés, equipped escalators, a panoramic lift, and an underground parking-lot.
Only from the side of Herkus Mantas Street the building is perceived as an object of the frontal architecture that harmoniously intervenes by its scale into the existing development of the street.